Safari is the commonly used web browser for MacBook users. However, there are certain issues which the users face. Safari not working on Mac is one of them. If this is the error you are stuck with, and searching for the complete methods on how to get rid of it, then you can stop your search here. Here, from this article, you will get the complete methods with the help of which you can get rid of this issue.
Gaining a complete knowledge of an error is one of the important keys in solving it. If you are a beginner and do not know how to make Safari work again, then you can rely on this article. This article is full of information by the help of which you will not only know the reasons which are responsible for the issue but along with that, you will also learn the methods of solving it.
Possible Causes of the Safari Not Working Error
If you are interested to know what causes Safari not working on Mac, then it’s great. According to the research regarding the error, it is found that the possible causes for it are varied and are as listed below.
- Proxy Settings: If you did anything with the settings of the MacBook and unintentionally done something wrong, then, this can be the cause for which you are facing the Safari won’t open on Mac issue.
- Third-party Add-ons: If you have added any wrong add-ons with the Safari browser then this will be another reason for which you are stuck with this error.
- Accumulation of Cache files: Sometimes it is better to clear the cache files from Safari browser to make its memory free. If the cache memory of the Safari browser is filled then this will be the reason for the error.
- An outdated version of Safari: If you are have not updated the Safari browser on your MacBook, then this can result in such issue.
Whatever be the cause, you need to learn the methods with the help of which you will eligible to fix the issue. So, read this article till the end.
Problems you may Face when Safari Won’t Open on Mac
There are several difficulties which the Safari not working on Mac brings, some of which are as given below. And hopefully, you are quite familiar with it.
- Sometimes MacBook response slowly to the input commands
- Suddenly Safari get closes in the middle of a task
- Safari stops to respond
Methods to Fix Safari not Working on Mac
Here in this portion, you will get to learn the complete methods to solve can’t open Safari on Mac glitch. So, without thinking much about the error you can proceed with the methods given below to resolve the glitch at the earliest.
Method 1: Verify Proxy Settings
Firstly, check the MacBook’s network connection settings. Anything wrong with the settings may lead to these kinds of error. If this is the case, to verify and solve it, follow the steps below.
- At the left-hand corner of the MacBook screen, you will see the Apple symbol. Click on it to get the menu open.
- After that, from this Apple menu list, select the “System Preferences” option.
- Next, under System Preferences click on Network.
- And then, go to the “Advanced” option and click on “Proxy”.
- Now, check the network configuration settings and try to disable all the proxy settings you see.
- After that, restart the Safari browser and verify if it works normally.
In case, the Safari not working on Mac issue still exists then try the method below.
Method 2: Identify the Problem Creating Third-party Add-ons on Safari and then Remove it
This is another workaround to fix the issue. So, if the above method did not work, try this. Many of the users get a positive result in fixing the Safari not working issue on MacBook, with the help of this method.
To begin with, firstly, locate all the third-party add-ons installation package from both the root-level as well as from the user-level libraries in Finder. To get the third-party add-ons from the root-level libraries in Finder follow the path as below. And then, after locating the add-ons, move them to the Trash folder. Do not delete them permanently to identify the culprit add-on.
- /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/ /Library/Input Methods/ /Library/InputManagers/ /Library/ScriptingAdditions
And to locate the add-ons from the user-level libraries in Finder, follow the below mentioned path. And again, do not delete the add-ons permanently but place them in the Trash folder.
- ~/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/ ~/Library/Input Methods/ ~/Library/InputManagers/ ~/Library/ScriptingAdditions
After moving third-party add-ons into the Trash folder, now check if the Safari browser is working properly. And if it is working normally, then this denotes that the third-party add-on(s) is the issue for which this problem was occurring. So, to identify the problem created by add-ons, you need to restore the add-ons back to its location one by one. After restoring an add-on, you need to verify if the Safari is working properly. And to relocate the add-on to its location from the Trash folder, you need to right-click on the add-on and then select the “Put Back” option. After you get the culprit add-on by performing these steps, remove it or them from MacBook permanently.
After successively performing this method, if the error still persists, then it is advised to try the other methods given below.
Method 3: Reset Safari to Fix Can’t Open Safari on Mac
This is the method, which helps to solve many of the Safari browser related issues including Safari not working on MacBook. So, it is better to try this method as well, if you fail to solve the issue using the above two methods.
- At first, open Safari
- And then, at the top of the panel of the Safari screen, you will get the “Safari” option, click on it.
- Next, under the menu list, select “Reset Safari.” This will pop-up the Reset Safari window.
- Now, activate all the checkboxes which you see on this Reset Safari window.
- After that, it is better to close and relaunch Safari. This is to get the full effect of the Safari resetting process.
- Then, click on the “Reset” button from this Reset Safari window by having all the checkboxes checked.
All these steps will take the Safari browser to its default state. No add-ons or any other settings you made to the Safari will get canceled. After performing this method, hopefully, you will get the error fixed. After you get the error fixed, now again you can add the add-ons by downloading it from the web source.
Method 4: Update Safari Browser
If after following all the above methods, you find that the Safari does open in Mac, then hopefully, after updating the Safari browser to the latest version you will get the error fixed. And the steps to follow to perform this method is as follows:
- Go to the Apple icon from the Mac screen, which is at the left-top corner.
- After that, from the menu list, click on “System Updates…”.
- Next, you will get the App Store application window open. From here, you will be able to update the Safari browser. And for doing this, search Safari from the available options. You may need to click on the “More” button if you do not see the Safari on this opened list.
- After you locate Safari, click on “UPDATE”, which is present beside it.
- After updating the Safari browser, it is better to restart MAc to complete the process in a proper manner.
All these are the methods applying which you can fix Safari not working on Mac error efficiently. So, if you are stuck with the error, studying this article can be a great choice for you to learn the complete methods to resolve this issue.