Mac external display not working is one of the common problems reported by Mac device users. If you are facing this irritating situation and searching for what to do next, then this article is for you. This article will suggest reliable methods with the help of which you can able to resolve it.
There are certain cases when you need to take the help of an external display to do your job successfully. But in this situation, if you certainly see that the display is not displaying the mirror image of your MacBook and in place, you are getting the black background screen, then it is better to try some methods with the help of which you may get rid of it. So, check it out the next section to solve the problem.
Methods to Fix Mac External Display not Working Glitch
Here, in this article, you are going to know some of the useful methods with the help of which you will be able to fix Mac not detecting display error. So, without worrying about the error it is better to try some fixes instantly.
Method 1: Make Sure to Unlock Screensaver
This is one of the causes which can result in such error, to check and fix if this is the case, go through these below instructions.
- Ensure that the monitor is turned On and if not, then do it at first.
- Then, keep pressing the Space key from the external keyboard, until you get the inlog panel open. Now, unlock the Screensaver.
- After that, log in to the device and check if this method works.
In case, if it fails to resolve the issue, then proceed with the next methods.
Method 2: Verify the Brightness Level to the Mac
Sometimes, a silly mistake can become the reason for an error. If you lower the brightness of the external screen and forgot to turn it back to its normal condition, then this will be the fact for the error. And, the steps to follow in order to fix this cause is as below.
As both the devices are On, press the Control and F2 keys at the same time, to get to the Display Brightness window open. After that, adjust the brightness of the Mac and the external display accordingly. After performing this task, hopefully, you will get the issue fixed.
Method 3: Check all the Wire Attachments
Often, the loose wire connections are the main reason behind the Mac external display not working issue. So, to know if this is the case, and for solving it continue with the steps as below:
To Detect if the External Display is Connected to Mac
- First of all, go to the “System Preferences”, by clicking on the Apple icon, which is located at the top left-hand corner.
- Next, under the opening window, click on Displays.
- After that, hold down the Option key, this will help you to get the “Detect Displays” button, tap on it, to continue.
- Then, if the external display is connected to Mac, it will be displayed on the Mac screen. Or else, it means that there is a wire connection problem. And, if this is the case, then you need to check the wire connections at first.
Ensure the Proper Wire Connections
- To check the wire connections, firstly, shut-down all the devices. Then, detach it from the power outlets as well.
- After that detach all the wires carefully from the ports.
- And waiting for a few seconds, reconnect all the wire connections in its appropriate locations.
- Next, turn On the power supply, and check if the error gets resolved.
Every monitor has its own set of display resolutions. However, if you are trying to display any incompatible resolutions files on the external monitor, then you may face Mac external display not working glitch. If this is the case, do not worry, you can resolve it by following the below instructions. So, try these steps.
Before starting the adjust resolution steps of the external monitor, at first, check the resolution criteria on the monitor’s documentation. Then, turn on the MacBook into Safe Mode. Next, click on the Apple logo, which is at the top left-hand corner. After that, from the dropping down menu, select the “System Preferences” option. Now, as the window gets open, here you will get a section as Displays, click on it and set the resolution of which the external monitor is compatible with. After doing this, restart the computer, so that, the changes can take place completely. Now, hopefully, you will get the exact and the clear mirror image on the external display which is shown on the Mac screen.
All these are the effective methods by applying which you can get the Mac external display not working error fixed. So, now, you can continue your job and present the project on a large display screen without any further interruption.