Mac error code -8084 is one such error that appears when there’s something wrong in the file you are copying. You only face the error at the time of copying a file from one location to another on the macOS. There are several facts to be aware of to know the main reason behind this error.
Finding the reasons won’t be enough as you need its solutions but they would be helpful to prevent it from happening in the future. Whenever you encounter such an error, the system might freeze, face poor performance of the system, and many more.
However, in this article, we are going to let you know about all the solutions to solve it. No matter what is the main reason that’s responsible for this error, you are going to solve it anyhow.
Explications to Try out for Solving the Mac Error Code -8084
Receiving the error code 8084 on your Mac device is something that deals with the files that you want to transfer. If any of the files are protected, then you might face such error code. Due to the free space of the disk utility, you might encounter it on the system.
In case the BIOS settings are incorrectly modified, then it might appear. Whatsoever, here in this section, we are about to take you to all the solutions to fix the error.
Solution 1 – Delete Whatever Free Space is Left on your Mac
To solve the Mac Error Code -8084, you can delete the free space that Mac provide to its users. You only can do that from the Disk Utility section of Mac and to do that you can follow the steps as mentioned below.
- At first, navigate to the Applications and then Utilities from where you have to open the Disk Utility to move forward. You can also use the launchpad to complete this operation.
- After that, select the hard drive whose free space you want to delete that mainly appears at the left panel of the screen.
- Now, choose the Erase tab from the four of them and click on the Erase Free Space option that appears at the lower-left corner of that tab.
- After you click on that option, another dialog box will appear. Here, in this dialog box, you have to select the desired level and then finally click on the “Erase Free Space” option once again.
In this way, you can conveniently free up some of the spaces from the hard drive of your Mac. Once you have completely erased the free space from it, check for the error about its existence. If it’s still there on the system, then follow the nex solution.
Solution 2 – Set the Status of the Files to Everyone
File sharing is one of the greatest features that come with Mac. Therefore, it allows you to make the file status as you want it to be. If you want it to stay locked for all the users except you, then you can easily do that.
This is also something, that might be the main reason behind the error you faced. However, the following section is going to help you out by changing the file status to everyone.
- Get the mouse cursor to the Apple menu at the top of the screen and select System Preferences option there. Under that section, click on the Sharing option to get further.
- Select the File Sharing tickbox that appeared before you on the screen and then click on the plus symbol at the bottom. It will allow you to share specific files or folders with others.
- Next, locate the folder from where you want to share the files and click on the Add button.
- Control-click on the name of the folder to get to the various options it offers. From the Advanced Options, select your desired option that describes whom you want to share the files with.
This is how you can set the status of a file or a folder to everyone from the advanced sharing option. While doing such tasks on the computer, you should know that you are allowing others to get access to your files via network.
Solution 3 – Verify the Disk Drive
Again you require the same Disk Utility for performing this task on your Mac. It helps to find out several problems regarding the disk and repair them. You should also note that while using the Disk Utility, the system might get a bit slower than usual.
Take a look in the following section for verifying the disk using the utility:
- Open the Disk Utility in the same way as you did in Solution 1 and select the View option from the appeared list. Under the View option, click on the option called Show All Devices and continue with the following steps.
- Click on the First Aid button after selecting the fisk or volume that you want to verify. After that, select the Run option to completely verify the drive.
With all the steps as stated above, it won’t be a problem for you to verify the disk drive from where you’re transferring files. In case, the Disk Utility pops up an error in this process, then it would be quite difficult to do the verification. But most of the time, the Mac Error Code -8084 gets solved after following this solution.
Solution 4 – Unlock the File if it’s Locked
Sometimes, the error might appear due to the reason that the file is locked. And thus, the system prevents you from copying it. To unlock the file on your Mac, you can follow the steps as mentioned in the section below.
- Go to the Application to open Utilities and then launch the Terminal to write in some lines of commands.
- In the Terminal, type the following command and then hit the Enter key to execute it successfully. “sudo chflags –R nouchg”
- After executing the command, you need to drag in the parent folder that contains the files you want to copy. If the files are locked, then this would unlock them.
So now, you have a complete idea on how to unlock a locked file on Mac devices using the Terminal. In the overall process, if the system prompts your password, then enter it and continue further. This is the time when you should check whether the error 8084 is still on the system or not. If it’s still there, then there is another solution you can try.
Solution 5 – Modify Permissions for the Users of the Mac Device
Majority of the time, the error occurs because of the lack of permission that a user has on the device he or she is working on. If you are one such user, then you need to modify the permissions for all the users of your Mac device.
You should provide the administrative privileges to the user in order to access files. It will also allow the user to copy or paste it in whatever location he or she wants. For the modification of such permission, you can stick to the following steps:
- In the beginning, you need to launch the Finder on your Mac to move forward. After that, control-click on the Hard Disk icon and then select the Get Info option from the appeared list.
- As the new dialog box appears, select the Repair Disk Permission to open it from the bottom-left corner.
Once you are done with the two steps as stated above, the error will not be on the system any longer. It will start repairing all the permissions given to the users of your Mac device.
So, this is where we are going to end the discussion for solving the Mac Error Code -8084 that you have encountered while copying files. Here, in the article, we have walked you through all the solutions you needed to know to fix the error. Hope, the article could help you find the complete solutions and take you out of it.