Error code -50 Mac, is one of the most common errors which you can encounter while copying a file from one to another. If you are getting this error message in your Mac device while performing some important works, then don’t get frustrated. Follow this article, as it contains complete guidance to help you out. But, before proceeding at first, let’s try to know more about the causes of this error. After that, you will get to learn the solutions to fix the problem.
Reasons to Encounter Error Code -50 Mac
Due to more than one reason, you can encounter this particular error with your device. For instance-
- In case, if you are using an outdated version of the Mac software.
- Due to junk files.
- This error can occur due to corrupted login credentials also.
Once you become aware of the causes now, let’s focus on the solutions to resolve this matter on your own.
Hacks to Solve Error code -50 Mac
Here are some simple hacks using which you will be able to troubleshoot this error on your own.
Method 1: Install Available Updates
Sometimes, it can happen that, if you are using outdated software, then it will prevent to use your computer smoothly. As a result of which, you are getting Mac OS error code -50. In this case, you should try to perform an update process. In that case, try to follow these steps:
- At first, you have to navigate to the App Store.
- Once done, you have to tap on the Update icon.
- In case, if you notice any available updates, then you need to tap on the Update All button.
After updating your Mac, you have to restart your device and check the status of the error. If this error still persists, then try to follow the alternative method.
Method 2: Check Login Files
You can also reboot your computer to the safe mode, in order to check whether you are able to see any errors or not. In case, if you notice any errors then, you can encounter this error due to the startup or login items or kext file. In order to perform this action, try out these steps.
- At first, open your System System Preferences.
- Once done, you have to navigate to the ‘Users & Groups’ section.
- After that, you have to tap on your account icon, which is situated in the left, as well as, select the Login Items tab from the right side.
- Now, you have to select the items, from the list which appears on the screen.
- Once done, you have to tap on the minus sign, to clear them.
After that, restart your Mac device, and check the status of the error. If it still the error persists, then try to follow the alternative method.
Method 3: Clean Cache, Junk, and Temporary files
In the Operating System, as well as, some programs create some junk files. In case, if you notice that these files are malicious, then it can interfere with the computers network and causes some errors. So, you need to clean junk files in order to check if it resolves the error or not.
In order to clean cache, you need to try out these steps:
- At first, in the Finder menu, you need to access the Go tab option from the drop-down menu.
- You have to create a backup copy of the files which you are going to delete in case something goes wrong.
- After that case, you have to choose all of the files and folders which is situated in the Cache folder, as you click in the CMD + A keys.
- Now, you need to move some files which are situated in the Trash folder.
- Once done, you have to clean the Trash folder.
After completing all of the junk files, you have to check whether you are able to resolve the matter or not. If you are unable to resolve this matter, then you have to follow the alternative method mentioned below.
Method 4: Run Disk Utility
In order to resolve this matter, you need to run the disk utility. It is a built-in Mac tool which will help you to locate and resolve many problems related to the files and programs. Sometimes, it also can happen that this particular error is occurring due to some improper permissions. In that case, you should try to perform these steps to run the Disk Utility Check.
- At first, you need to access all folders, as well as, you have to open the Utilities folder.
- After that, you need to navigate to the Disk Utility.
- Once done, you need to go to the First Aid tab.
- Now, you will be able to see a pop-up window will appear.
- Tap on the option named Run.
Once your device completes the Disk Utility Checkup, you need to check the status of the error. If it still persists, then try to follow the alternative method.
Method 5: Resolve Hardware Issues
You can also encounter this error code -50 Mac, due to hardware issues. In that case, you have to reset the Parameter RAM (PRAM) or/and system management controller (SMC). In that case, take note that before proceeding with the steps, you need to back up the system data to secure your device from data loss. Once you complete the backup process, you need to follow these steps to reset the PRAM:
- At first, you need to turn Off your Mac.
- After that, you need to press the Power button.
- Once done, you need to press the Command + Option + P + R keys immediately and at the same time hold it down till your device completes the reboot process.
- Now, you will be able to hear the startup sound twice.
- After hearing this sound, you can release the keys. After completing these steps, the PRAM will get reset.
Method 6: Remove the Batter and Reset it
SMC on Mac notebook computers with a removable battery
In case, if you are using SMC on Mac notebook computers with the removable battery, then try out these steps:
- At first, you need to shut down Mac.
- Once done, you have to remove the battery.
- Now, you have to tap and hold down the Power button for some time.
- After that, turn On your Mac device.
Resetting SMC on MacBooks without removable battery:
In case, if you are using SMC on MacBooks without a removable battery, then try out these steps:
- At first, turn On Mac.
- After that, tap on the Shift + Control + Option, which is situated on the left side of the keyboard, as well as, press the Power button at the same time.
- Now, you need to hold down these keys, as well as, the Power button for some time.
- Once done, you need to release those keys and turn On your machine.
Resetting the SMC on Mac desktop computers:
In order to reset the SMC on Mac desktop computers, you need to follow these steps:
- At first turn Off your computer.
- Now, you need to unplug your computer from the power source.
- After that, you need to wait for some time.
- Now, you have to plug in the device to the power cord.
- Wait for some time.
- Once done, you need to press and hold the Power button and turn On Mac.
In this way, you will be able to troubleshoot this error on your own.
In this article, we have provided more than one solution, using which you will be able to troubleshoot error code -50 Mac error on your own. In case, you come across any kind of system glitches while performing these steps, then you can leave a comment below.